Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A Story A Day


 
This exercise is to get you generating a lot of possibilities for your short stories this semester and to get you familiar with the process of writing every day.  If I could have my way, I would require you to write 250-500 words a day, 7 days a week, for the entire semester.  Think of the writer you’d be after that!  You’d have the beginnings of a collection!  But, since I can’t do that, I will start the semester out by having you write every day for a week.

So, here’s the assignment:  Tuesday. 9-17 (yes, I have changed the due date to give you more time) you must bring in between 5-7 stories (hence, a story a day) that could be the seeds of your stories this semester.  The typical published short story is 15 pages long.  If you can manage to write a 15 page story every day for a week, more power to you.  But for the sake of your sanity, I will require only that you produce 1-2 pages per each story (250-500 words).  That “story” could be an opening scene or two, or it could be looser piece of writing where you try to pin down the story as a whole.  I only ask that it be intelligible enough for me to understand, as I will be reading these and advising you on which would make the best stories for you to pursue, and that it be an earnest attempt at creating a short story for a real audience.

Of course you are allowed to make use of the exercises you've done so far, and I will load even more exercises to your Dropbox file, if you need something to go on.  Use them or don’t—it doesn’t matter to me.  All that matters is that you write, write, write!

I am eager to see what you come up with! 

2 comments:

  1. I have to say, completing the arc of a story in 2 double spaced pages is a real weakness of mine. But this is helping me refine my economy of language to a great degree as well as learning how to convey information, backstory, and character in a single unbroken scene.

    ReplyDelete